Release date: 6 September 2012
Following the Design Council’s announcement earlier today that John Mathers has been appointed as Chief Executive, it has also announced the appointment of two key roles in its Cabe team. David Waterhouse has been appointed as the new Head of Programme Development and Alan Thompson has been promoted to take the role of Head of Design Review.
David Waterhouse joins as Head of Programme Development from JBP PR & Parliamentary Affairs where he was Associate Director and Head of Local Government Affairs.
Alan Thompson joined CABE in 2009 as Senior Advisor, became interim Head of Design Review in 2012, and has now been promoted to Head of Design Review.
Both David and Alan will work closely with Nahid Majid, Director of the Cabe team, and Kathy MacEwen, Head of Planning and Enabling.
Nahid Majid, Director of the Cabe team at the Design Council, commented on the new appointments:
“I’m delighted that David Waterhouse and Alan Thompson will be strengthening the Cabe team. This is an exciting time for us – we have developed new services and refined existing ones, and the feedback from our clients has been extremely positive. Both David and Alan will play a crucial role developing our programmes and I am confident with their help that Cabe will continue to provide great services.”
Notes to editors
1. For further information or images please contact:
Tim Crowley, Head of Communications 07748 906897 / email@example.com
2. David Waterhouse – Career Summary
David Waterhouse joins as Head of Programme Development from JBP PR & Parliamentary Affairs where he was Associate Director and Head of Local Government Affairs. Prior to joining JBP David was Head of Planning and Renewal in the Housing and Growth Directorate at the Department for Communities and Local Government (CLG) where he was responsible for the Housing Market Renewal and Growth Programmes across England. Prior to working for CLG, David was Planning Policy and Project Manager at the Town and Country Planning Association (TCPA). David is a Director and Deputy Treasurer of the Town and Country Planning Summer School, and is a Trustee and Honorary Treasurer to Planning Aid for London. He is a recently appointed Academician at the Academy of Urbanism.
3. Alan Thompson – Career Summary
Alan Thompson was Senior Advisor for CABE between 2009 and 2011. During this period he was lead advisor for the London 2012 and Olympic Legacy Panels and CABE's Crossrail Panel, reviewing Europe's largest infrastructure project. Alan also led on CABE's National Panel, overseeing design quality for England's most significant and complex development proposals. Alan also contributed to CABE's School Review Panel, which saw over 300 education projects. Alan trained in architecture and urban design and his practice, prior to joining CABE, was mainly in the field of education and healthcare design and masterplanning. Alan is an Academician of the Academy of Urbanism and a Fellow of the RSA.
4. The Design Council is a charity which enables people to use design to transform communities, business and the environment for the better. Its work places design at the heart of creating value by stimulating innovation in business and public services, improving the built environment and tackling complex social issues. The Design Council inspires new design thinking, encourages public debate and informs government policy to improve everyday life and help meet tomorrow’s challenges today.
5. Cabe is the successor to CABE, the Government’s advisor on architecture and the built environment, which merged with the Design Council in April 2011.