We are indebted to Design Council Cabe for the excellent support work and professional skills that have been provided by the Panel to the City Council.Councillor Bob Price, Leader of Oxford City Council
Cities are the powerhouses of the UK economy, and are key to the country’s long-term growth and success.
In response to the devolution agenda and local growth deals, Design Council Cabe has developed a comprehensive design service for city authorities that brings together local knowledge and world-class expertise to help deliver high-quality, prosperous places.
This integrated and bespoke service provides early-stage design support, review and training. We engage local authority officers, elected members, developers, investors and key stakeholders to build expertise and deliver well-designed, sustainable communities for all.
I encourage cities across the country to look at how they could use - and benefit from - the Design Council’s new cities programme to help deliver housing and infrastructure, at pace and as set out in their city deals.Rt Hon Greg Clark MP, Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government (Oct 2014)
We work with local authorities across England and internationally to help deliver well-designed, thriving and viable towns and cities. We work at every scale, from helping communities on their neighbourhood plans to Nationally Significant Infrastructure Projects (NSIPs) such as Crossrail and the Thames Tideway Tunnel, as well as Old Oak Common Opportunity Area and London 2012.
Our services can include:
- Bespoke, multidisciplinary design panels selected to meet the specific needs of each city.
- Design support and review throughout the early stage design and pre-application planning process.
- Strategic specialist expertise to assist in the shaping of planning policy.
- Expert advice to maximise the impact of policy implementation.
- Training to build capacity, knowledge and expertise within the Local Planning Authority for both officers and elected members.
- Building a database of knowledge to inform continuous improvement of services for the benefit of the city.
Our Built Environment Experts (BEEs) are drawn from a range of sectors and together comprise a network of highly respected specialists.
They provide multi-disciplinary support to local authorities, developers and communities. They advocate and champion the importance of good design in creating spaces and places that improve everyone’s quality of life.
For a full list of our BEEs, read A guide to our built environment experts