Director for Architecture and Built Environment
up to £32,000 + benefits
6 Month FTC
Design Council’s purpose is to make life better by design.
We are an independent charity and the government’s advisor on design. Our vision is a world where the role and value of design is recognised as a fundamental creator of value, enabling happier, healthier and safer lives for all. Through the power of design, we make better places, better products, better processes and better performance.
How does this role fit in with the bigger picture?
This role will work with expert professionals in the built environment sector to enable local authorities, public sector and infrastructure clients, developers and others to create and deliver better places. The Operations Manager will play a pivotal role in upgrading and establishing our project, operational and business process management activities and systems that underpin the delivery of our Architecture & Built Environment Programme to our clients. They will be central to the development and management of our network of Built Environment Professionals (BEEs) and have the opportunity to support the organisation on establishing a new CRM and database and broader communications process
The role will require someone with a passion and dedication for effective project management, operational efficiency, strong team and programme management skills, and excellent customer service competencies. Commercially minded and sensitive to client relationships with an eye for quality assurance, they will have the skills to promote Design Council’s values and principles through their work and enable others to do the same.
What is expected from the Operations Manager?
Service Delivery & Business Support
- Contribute to the delivery of Design Council’s key corporate objectives and business plan by keeping the business running smoothly
- Assisting with Design Council’s organisational development; growing the business and assisting with developing products and services
- Liaise and work with the wider business as necessary to ensure delivery of ‘joined-up’ working practices and services
- Acting as key point of contact for logistical matters and ensuring relevant project information is clearly and professionally communicated to internal and external stakeholders/partners when required
- To contribute to the review of Business Support to ensure that the service delivery continues to be efficient and cost effective and takes into account changing service levels, priorities, policy changes and technological developments
- To assist in providing reports on the provision of business support services, including performance against targets and recommendations for improvement
- To assist in resolving complex and contentious issues to ensure effective business support is maintained
- Managing and updating databases. Maintaining the data to agreed protocols and standards and working with the team to keep it continuously updated
- Supporting the introduction of a new database and CRM to replace existing programme management systems
- Set up and manage a business development tracker in advance of the new CRM system to include tender opportunities
- Set up and manage a staff resource tracker for programme and project management, which will include scheduling and programming our external client work.
- Identify, set up and manage simple project management tools for team working
- Coordinate the weekly and monthly resource programme meetings with the A&BE team.
- Manage our Built Environment Experts, ensuring efficient use of BEEs skills, competencies and attendance across the range of Design Council work streams, as well as maintaining up to date records, contracts and risk register.
- To build positive relationships with other staff and colleagues
Business and Finance
- Maintaining the sales pipeline and reporting on a weekly basis, for communication to the wider team and follow up with team members to ensure contact and project data is up to date
- Contributing to the preparation of reports for Trustee Board updatesManaging accurate and timely budget transactions including
- Ensuring signed contracts and Purchase Orders are in place, raising PO’s for amounts over £1000 with SUN systems accounting software
- Ensuring sales invoice requests are issued and overseeing the Cabe invoice log, ensuring reminders are sent for outstanding invoices
- Meeting regularly with finance to ensure smooth running of the financial systems
Effective Performance and Customer Services
- Ensure compliance with the Design Council operational policies and procedures, including financial and risk management; project management and evaluation processes; brand guide lines; data protection; equality, diversity and inclusiveness, health and safety policy.
- Supporting resolution of any service delivery issues by reviewing systems and process, within available resources, including reviewing official BEE and client feedback with regard to pre- and post-review organisation and logistics and implementing changes to improve our services
- Ensuring that quality assurance process are in place and being implemented, maintaining and updating reporting
- Actively seek to continuously improve the services in your area of responsibility to achieve positive service outcomes and assist in developing strategies to achieve required changes and provide a lead to implement and embed change across your area of responsibility
- To promote a strong client focus within the service and the organisation as a whole, liaising with external stakeholders of all levels in a professional manner and making sure customer service is key.
- Managing the arrangements of in-house design review meeting, including greeting and welcoming guests/clients and being the main person of contact for logistical matters
- Attending and recording notes of project coordination and external stakeholder meetings as required, ensuring key decisions are clearly documented and communicated
Corporate Responsibilities, supervising staff and resources
- Supervising admin and support staff, allocating and outlining tasks according to priority and duration
- Managing the induction of new staff, including liaison on corporate induction
- Providing positive and enthusiastic direction to people to enable, inspire, motivate and support them to achieve Design Council objectives
- Creating the conditions for others to excel.
- Liaising with all teams across Design Council to ensure ‘joined-up’ working practices and services
- Ensuring you and the A&BE team comply with the Design Council operational policies and procedures, including financial and risk management; project management and evaluation processes; brand guide lines; data protection; equality, diversity and inclusiveness, and health and safety policy. To comply with management policy, including General Data Protection Regulation, information security and confidentiality.
Health and Safety
- Be aware of and implement your health and safety responsibilities as an employee and where appropriate any additional specialist or managerial health and safety responsibilities as defined in the Health and Safety policy and procedure
- To work with colleagues and others to maintain health, safety and welfare within the working environment.
Equality Diversity and Inclusion
The Design Council is committed to providing equal opportunities for all. Applications are welcomed from all sections of the community. Appointments are made on merit.
How to apply
To apply, please email your CV and supporting statement to demonstrate your suitability for the role to email@example.com.
Closing date: Wednesday 17 April 2019