Head of Marketing
Up to £50,000 gross per annum pro rata + benefits
About Design Council?
Design Council’s purpose is to make life better by design.
We are an independent charity and the governments advisor on design. Our vision is a world where the role and value of design is recognised as a fundamental creator of value, enabling happier, healthier and safer lives for all. Through the power of design, we make better places, better products, better processes and better performance.
How does this role fit in with the bigger picture?
The Marketing & Communications team has a critical role to play in growing the revenues of our business and raising our profile.
The role of a Senior Communications Manager is an integral part of the Marcomms team and an important representative of Design Council to the media. You will be responsible for identifying and handling emerging policy, business and industry issues, identifying positive story or opportunities to promote key areas of the business and project managing and delivering key communications projects and campaigns. You will also be involved in supporting the delivery of major announcements covering corporate news, policy and research.
- Maximise use of the media to support Design Council policy and commercial objectives
- Develop story pitches to journalists from our programme, policy and research outputs
- Deliver successful PR campaigns/strategies that deliver measurable results and meet objectives
- Draft press releases for programmes and other corporate stories
- Respond to an emerging story with a comment or statement
- Sell in planned media stories to targeted media
- Report on key issues and opportunities for reactive press stories
- Develop targeted media contacts list
- Meet journalists and develop good relations so Design Council becomes a ‘go-to’ for quotes, statements, opinions and articles
- Lead on PR and communications for specific campaigns and events
- Deliver integrated communications with digital and regional communications
- Work with the Policy and Research teams to support lobbying with PR activity
- Work across the communications function on delivering reports and articles
In addition, the role will cover:
- Management of our monitoring tool Kantar and deliver monthly media coverage reports with recommendations and insights
- Development and implementation of engagement and communications programmes for select projects, working closely with the project office lead
- Management of stakeholder communications, including proactive and reactive media management of the organisation’s major projects
- Liaise with project teams to provide content for use in corporate and external communications e.g. internal communications, newsletters, posters.
- Edit articles and draft some items of briefed longer content.
- Ensure you comply with the Design Council operational policies and procedures including financial and risk management, project management and evaluation processes, brand guide lines and internal health and safety policy.
Does this sound like you?
Technical Skills and Qualifications
- Degree qualified with a minimum of a 2.1 in a relevant degree or equivalent journalism qualification.
- Must have a strong understanding of the press ideally from working in a similar role or from working in the press.
- Strong written and oral presentation skills are essential.
- Must be highly organised and be able to meet deadlines.
Knowledge and Experience
To be considered for the role as Communications Manager you will have experience of working in Corporate or Public Affairs PR and be a good communicator with an aptitude for building relationships.
You will be experienced at building external relationships and have evidence of good relationships with a wide range of journalists in the world of design, creative industries, policy, research, education, public affairs and business.
You will have:
- Demonstrable experience in developing and delivering integrated communications campaigns.
- Experience creating copy across a variety of platforms
- Excellent written communication skills across a range of channels including press releases, blogs & social content, including the ability to communicate concisely and with impact.
- Ability to work collaboratively across teams with good interpersonal and negotiating skills
- Acute attention to detail and refined design sensibility
- Highly organised
- Proactive and can do attitude
- Ability to work in under pressure in fast paced environments to tight deadlines
- Solutions focused
Equality & Diversity
Design Council is committed to providing equal opportunities for all. Applications are welcomed from all sections of the community. Appointments are made on merit.
How to apply…
To apply, please email your CV and supporting statement to demonstrate your suitability for the role to email@example.com.
Closing date: 03 Feb 2019