Leading Business by Design: Automotive Sector
In 2013, the Leading Business by Design research project was launched to examine how businesses – including organisations not traditionally associated with design – can benefit from it.
This report highlights four key findings on how the automotive sector can benefit from the use of design:
- Competitive advantage - Design is one of the most important drivers of innovation
- Effective collaboration - Good design is the result of effective collaborations and partnerships within and between organisations
- Skills - Changes in the broader automotive ecosystem increasingly require designers to develop a wider skillset
- Futureproofing - In the future, design will play a more fundamental role in integrating products and services and enhancing customer experience.
In the report, we highlight eight key recommendations for the automotive sector in how to fully leverage design-led thinking:
- Use design strategically
- Focus on user experience
- Don’t just use design for premium products
- Promote cross-functional collaboration
- Value different viewpoints
- Create clear processes with few decision-makers
- Establish partnerships with new suppliers
- Provide a broader design education
Subscribe to our newsletter
Want to keep up with the latest from the Design Council?