Inside you will find
- Introduction to the issues surrounding the use of design codes
- Outline of why you might code and what code looks like
- Addressing the kinds of codes that work best in the UK
- Section on making coding work
This will interest
- Built environment professionals
- Local authorities
- Government ministers
This guide explores how urban design codes can help to increase property values, reduce crime, contribute to public health and ease transport problems.
CABE is a supporter of the use of design codes in the right circumstances. They are particularly useful in respect of new neighbourhood development, more so where there is a single land owner which can enforce the code intelligently as a matter of contract.
At the same time, we believe that the Government should proceed with some caution in expanding the use of codes, piloting different approaches to test the waters.