- Who we are
- What we do
- Work with us
- News & opinion
- Contact us
- Subscribe to Newsletter
Design in the Public Sector equips councils with design skills and techniques to apply to their toughest service challenges.Cllr Peter Fleming, Chairman, LGA Improvement and Innovation Board
Our Design in the Public Sector programme supports public sector leaders to explore key challenges affecting their local communities and identify innovative opportunities to deliver positive and sustainable change. Using Design Council’s Framework for Innovation and globally recognised Double Diamond, the programme supports councils and their partners to further explore the needs and wants of their residents and place them at the heart of the decisions they make and public services they design. The programme also develops key skills and capabilities to embed new ways of working across the sector.
Download the key facts
For more information, read the Design in the Public Sector key facts.Download
About the programme
Design Council's structured approach has been successfully adopted by over 60 Local Authorities so far.
- Delivers an accelerated learning experience for project teams through five, one-day workshops delivered over 18 weeks.
- Between workshops project teams also benefit from 2 coaching sessions with our design experts to troubleshoot and keep them on track
- Provides an introductory masterclass for senior stakeholders and their project teams during the first workshop
- Is funded by the LGA, delivered by Design Council.
Councils benefit from:
- Greater collaboration between you and your partners to tackle key public sector challenges together
- An introduction to design approaches for healthier and happier communities
- Support to use design to explore key public sector challenges, create new insights and develop alternative models based on prevention
- New skills and capabilities embedded within your council and with your partners
- Learning and applying a people-centred process that brings together public sector leaders, partners and the community in new ways.
Who is the programme for?
The programme supports teams of decision-makers actively involved in the delivery of public sector services with a focus on prevention.
We look for applications led by councils across England which;
- Tackle a key public sector challenge
- Are led by a council, but involve wider partners from across the public sector
- Are endorsed by your Chief Executive and a senior sponsor (e.g. a Director-level)
- Have the capacity to undertake the work and attend all programme delivery days
- Are willing to share learning and experiences from the programme with other councils across the country.
Read the FAQs
For more information, view our Design in the Public Sector FAQsView
Register your interest
Applications for our Design in the Public Sector programme are now closed. If you would like to stay up to date with the latest information, please sign-up to our fortnightly Newsletter.
Programme delivery dates for teams in the North of England:
- Workshop 1: Thursday 3 October, 2019
- Workshop 2: Wednesday 16 October, 2019
- Coaching session 1: Thursday, 7 November 2019
- Workshop 3: Tuesday 26 November, 2019
- Coaching session 2: Thursday, 23 January 2020
- Workshop 4: Tuesday 11 February, 2020
- Workshop 5: Tuesday 10 March, 2020
Programme delivery dates for teams in the South of England:
- Workshop 1: Monday 7 October, 2019
- Workshop 2: Monday 21 October, 2019
- Coaching session 1: Tuesday, 5 November 2019
- Workshop 3: Tuesday 10 December 2019
- Coaching session 2: Tuesday, 28 January 2020
- Workshop 4: Tuesday 25 February 2020
- Workshop 5: Tuesday 17 March, 2020
Register your interest
If you would like to stay up-to-date with the latest information, please sign-up to our fortnightly Newsletter.Register your interest