Register to comment
We'd like to hear your views on the content we publish and the work that we do. We will never share your details with third parties.Register now
MedTechSouthEast©Amelie-Benoist/BSIP/Science Photo Library
MedTechSouthEast is a new competition from Design Council and MedCity, supported by AXA PPP healthcare. It is designed to identify and develop the next generation of user-centred, non-invasive medical technology from the exceptional pool of innovation talent in the south-east of England.
- MedTechSouthEast has closed for entries. You can read about this year’s winners here.
MedTechSouthEast gives individuals and teams based in London and the south-east of England the chance to win a ten-week accelerator coaching course with design experts and medical technology industry leaders, worth more than £2,500.
It provides a unique way for the region’s tech talent to learn how to better develop, validate and fully commercialise products while also discovering new technologies which could help to improve lives and benefit the healthcare sector more widely.
Finalists will be entered into AXA’s Health Tech & You Awards 2016, an initiative that aims to recognise, celebrate and showcase the best in personal health technology innovations.
- Do you have a physical, user-centred, medical-based technological innovation at proof of concept stage?
- Are you based in south-east England?
If you can answer yes to both these questions, you are eligible to enter.
Aims of the MedTechSouthEast competition
- Give inventors and entrepreneurs new skills and understanding
- Produce market-leading technology
- Develop products which 'enable, educate and empower' the patient.
How it works
There are ten places up for grabs - the competition consists of three stages:
- Online entry of your product idea.
- Entries will then be processed and judged by our team of design and industry experts. If selected, finalists are asked to attend a pitching event to industry leaders, investors and potential commercial partners.
- Those chosen from this finalist pool are then put through their paces in an intensive two-day workshop followed by a ten-week, hands-on programme to develop the products.
- August 2015: MedTechSouthEast opens for entries.
- 2/3 September: Find out more about the competition at the Healthcare and Innovation Expo.
- 23 October: Entries close at midday. Design Council and MedCity selection committee process entries and agree shortlist of finalists.
- 2 November: Finalists contacted.
- 10 November: Pitching event for finalists. 10 winners selected by judging panel of industry experts.
- 19/20 November: Programme Kick-Off and two-day bootcamp.
- November 2015 - Spring 2016: Follow on coaching (three days per team).
- Spring 2016: AXA PPP’s Health Tech & You Awards 2016 and showcase.
Over the last decade, Design Council has worked with universities, research bodies and tech start-ups to develop some of the most exciting new medtech in recent times. Its team of expert Design Associates will lead you through the process of developing a market-ready innovation, giving you unparalleled access to industry skills, knowledge and experience.