- Who we are
- What we do
- Work with us
- News & opinion
- Contact us
- Subscribe to Newsletter
The need to act on the climate crisis is clear. Design plays a crucial role in bringing about real, lasting change – with public sector workers being the ones who can create the conditions for that change. We really look forward to working with local authority teams, teaching them all-important design skills, helping them to imagine new possibilities, and supporting them as they develop innovative ways to protect our precious planet, people and ecosystems.Sarah Weir, Design Council's Chief Executive
Our Design in the Public Sector programme supports public sector leaders to explore key challenges affecting their local communities and identify innovative opportunities to deliver positive and sustainable change. Using Design Council’s Framework for Innovation and globally recognised Double Diamond, the programme supports councils and their partners to further explore the needs and wants of their residents and place them at the heart of the decisions they make and public services they design. The programme also develops key skills and capabilities to embed new ways of working across the sector.
Download the key facts
For more information, read the Design in the Public Sector key facts.Download
About the programme
The aims of the Design in the Public Sector Programme this year are to:
- Build cross-sector partnerships that collaboratively explore climate challenges locally to generate demonstrator projects
- Build design skills and capabilities within the council and across partners, to reduce the impact of climate change, through mitigation or adaptation
- Deliver an accelerated learning experience for local authorities
- Create new insights and evidence to understand where to act
- Enable new ways of working with partners and stakeholders
- Create a community of practice around climate action across the sector sharing best practice, insight and key learning
- To use the evidence and insight generated around climate action to inform policy recommendations
- Funded by the LGA, to date, the programme has supported 70 local authority led teams and over 350 public sector leaders to address multiple service challenges across all English regions.
Who is the programme for?
The programme supports teams of decision-makers actively involved in reimaging climate challenges locally.
We look for applications led by councils across England that;
- want to tackle a climate change challenge
- lead the project, involving local partners from across the public sector
- are endorsed by your Chief Executive or a senior sponsor (e.g. a Director-level)
- have the capacity to undertake the programme which will include a commitment to a series of online workshops, coaching support and peer show and tell sessions
- are willing to share learning and experiences from the programme with other councils across the country.
Read the FAQs
For more information, view our Design in the Public Sector FAQsView
Key programme dates
- Programme launch – Wednesday, 4 November 2020
- Workshop 1 – Wednesday, 18 November 2020
- Show & Tell 1 – Wednesday, 9 December 2020
- Workshop 2 – Wednesday, 20 January 2021
- Show & Tell 2 – Wednesday, 10 February 2021
- Workshop 3 – Wednesday, 3 March 2021
- Show & Tell 3 – Wednesday, 24 March 2021
- Workshop 4 – Wednesday, 21 April 2021
- Show & Tell 4 – Wednesday, 12 May 2021
- Final showcase – June 2021 (date to follow)