Our response to the Building Better, Building Beautiful Commission
Design Council’s response to the Building Better, Building Beautiful Commission call for evidence has identified a number of areas where government action is needed to create the communities that people will value and want to live in and nearby.
Our key recommendations are that design is recognised as:
- the ‘golden thread’ running through the development and planning process, not an afterthought;
- a culture change is required to include genuine community engagement;
- investment is needed in the design skills of local planning authorities at both officer and councillor level;
- a whole-place approach is needed to planning which focuses on every aspect of a community’s needs and prioritises good design;
- and that government should draw on independent expert guidance and advice of the type Design Council specialises in.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Want to keep up with the latest from the Design Council?