Please note our call for applications have now closed.
Are you passionate about the natural and built environment? Design Council is building on the success of our long-standing built environment expert network and is now looking to bring in a wider range of active leaders and change-makers to join our refreshed community of experts. We are looking for people from various professions, backgrounds and localities, whose work impacts on the built and natural environment, to join us.
Better reflecting the communities we serve together, their diverse skills and experience will enable us to respond even more effectively to growing societal, environmental and economic challenges and create the resilience we need to enable a better and more equal future.
<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/483621087?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0&color=ffffff" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
We know that the design and built environment sectors have a diversity challenge, and our refresh gives us the opportunity to address this.
Sue Morgan, Acting joint Chief Executive at Design Council
We are acutely aware that the design and built environment sectors lack diversity. Therefore we particularly welcome applications from people in, and aligned with, the natural and built environment sectors who are currently under-represented. We want to create a network that includes better representation of Black people, gender, disability, and those who have lived experience of socio-economic disadvantage. We additionally welcome those who work to support underrepresented and marginalised people and communities. We are especially interested in hearing from specialists in biodiversity and climate change and are also keen to work with professionals who are based outside of, as well as inside, the capital.
We are therefore actively recruiting for, and welcome, a diversity of candidates that reflects the ‘all’ of the society we are designing with and for.
Sue Morgan, Acting joint Chief Executive at Design Council
Experts appointed to the refreshed network will help inform and deliver a range of design advice and support services, enabling our clients to best serve their communities and wider society. They will be assigned by Design Council to specific workstreams according to their skills and expertise. And as a key advocate for Design Council, all experts will share our commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion, and be able to show how they are achieving this through their own practice.
Experts will benefit from:
- coming together with others from diverse professions, backgrounds and regions
- building relationships within and across the design disciplines and sectors, including an extended remit of business innovation, service design and systems thinking
- sharing expertise, experiences, learning and ideas across disciplines
- developing knowledge on the current and future systems, infrastructure and behaviours that enhance how we live our lives, interact with others, and protect the planet.
- working together to understand and address a variety of challenges, from neighbourhood to global scale, within a rapidly changing social, environmental and technological context
- facilitating and creating space for collaboration, co-creation and partnership approaches to new projects, programmes and business opportunities with Design Council and/or other members of the expert community
- keeping abreast of the latest research and best practice.
We welcome applicants with expertise in specific areas, including but not limited to:
- Anthropology, sociology and social resilience
- Architecture, engineering, landscape architecture, planning and urban design
- Climate change, climate justice, circular economy and net zero
- Ecology, biology, biodiversity and arboriculture
- Economics and viability
- Equality, diversity and inclusion, including social inclusion
- Food growing and farming
- Heritage & conservation
- Housing, transport, energy and water infrastructure
- Interior spatial design
- Law and legal procedure
- Public art
- Public health
- Stakeholder consultation and community engagement
- User experience
- Smart and digital technology and data
- Water and land management
Individuals and organisations can apply for one of the following roles within our new structure:
Corporate partner organisations will support Design Council’s aims and values, partner on projects, including research and delivery. We can support each other on tenders, public events and thought leadership work. Corporate partners can supply expertise from among their staff for distinct projects, including design support programmes, secondment opportunities and mentoring exchanges.
Associate experts will support and contribute to our ongoing work with existing and future clients, such as providing strategic design support, such as design review.
Specialist experts will contribute to our ongoing research, policy, thought leadership and inform our overall thinking and approach. Where appropriate, they will also be involved in delivering particular Design Council programmes. Specialist experts will collectively bring specialised knowledge, experience and skills, and will include people from academia and community, campaigning and grassroots movements or organisations. They will support Design Council to achieve its aim of creating better places for all through their detailed understanding that reflects a range of expertise, from technical knowledge to lived experience.
Sue Morgan, Acting joint Chief Executive at Design Council said:
“Design Council is a global pioneer in championing and demonstrating the power of the built environment to make life better for all. We know that the design and built environment sectors have a diversity challenge, and our refresh gives us the opportunity to address this. We are therefore actively recruiting for, and welcome, a diversity of candidates that reflects the ‘all’ of the society we are designing with and for. I look forward to hearing from as wide a range of candidates as possible, who can help us continue our mission to make life better by design.”
Design Council is committed to ensuring equal opportunities for all. For example, our recent Black Lives Matter statement details our commitment to delivering the changes required within our organisation and the sectors we work in, to help create a more just society.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Want to keep up with the latest from the Design Council?