Head of Finance and Reporting
The Head of Finance and Reporting is a critical and exciting new position that sits at the very heart of the Design Council, with a broad and varied remit.
Reporting to the Director of Finance and Operations, this hands-on role will be responsible for ensuring the organization achieves its charitable and strategic objectives by protecting value, managing risk and providing excellent business partnering in the form of insightful and transparent management information, independent challenge and commercial acumen.
The role includes the following responsibilities:
- Being overall owner of the financial results, controls and processes
- Developing and owning annual budgets, and tracking performance
- Delivering robust financial reporting – both accurate actuals and credible forecasts
- Providing management information, KPIs and analysis to help drive decisions
- Working with the Director of Finance & Operations to implement strategy
- Managing cash flow and treasury functions including bank payments
- Work with colleagues to ensure compliance with Charity Commission reporting requirements
- Collaborating with other teams to solve problems and drive improvements
- Work with external partners to ensure compliance and cost-effective service delivery
Skills & Experience
We are looking for a high calibre and hands on individual used to working at a senior level, with demonstrated financial management and business partnering experience. You will have experience of designing and implementing process improvement and controls, as well as working across teams and at different organisational levels. You will also be passionate about operational excellence and the power of data to transform business decision-making and organisational outcomes.
- Qualified financial professional (CIMA, ACCA or equivalent)
- At least 5 years working in a managerial finance role
- Business partnering experience is a must
- Knowledge of Microsoft Business Central ERP is an advantage
- Experience of financial analysis, forecasting and modelling
- Able to produce meaningful management information and provide insights
- Used to working with and adapting fit for purpose processes and controls
- Confident delivering through others including external service partners
- Reasonable level of understanding of VAT accounting and rules
- Excellent time-management skills and ability to prioritise
- Experience of charity accounting / non for profit is a plus
You will also be:
- An excellent communicator
- Empathetic, pragmatic and adaptable, with a solutions-mindset
- Proactive, hands on and willing to roll up your sleeves and get stuck in
- Confident working at different levels within an organisation including Exec and sometimes Board level
- Willing and able to take a risk-based approach to making decisions
- Tech-savvy and interested in data, systems and smart IT solutions
- Comfortable and happy to work outside your core area
- Curious and open to new ideas and ways of working
- A team player but also comfortable working on your own
- Have an interest in design and sustainability
- Aware of some of the challenges and rewards of working in the not-for-profit sector
Our values and behaviours:
- Boundless Curiosity. Dynamic scoping of new ideas and best working practices to create and demonstrate impact.
- Inspire Possibility. Brilliant team and project leadership so we clearly communicate the value and impact of design.
- Powerful Together. Role modelling how to get the best out of everyone so we all maximise our contribution to Design for Planet.
- Proactively identify and manage risks and financial controls in relation to the Design Council and your specific area of responsibility.
- Comply with the Design Council’s operational policies and procedures including financial and risk management, project management and evaluation processes, brand guidelines, GDPR, information security and internal health and safety policy.
Please submit your application by 1 March 2024.
Please email Ishbel Allotey, HR Manager firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about the role.
The Design Council is fully committed to being a diverse and inclusive organisation. We welcome applications from everyone who meets the criteria. If you need any additional support, please do send in an early alert to our email address below.
- Salary: £55,000+
- Reporting to: Director of Finance and Operations
- Contract: Permanent
- Closing date: 1 March 2024